Friday, May 10, 2013

Oh Debbie!

So I went to hear THE Debbie Millman talk to the design community about failure. 



I wondered what she would have to tell us; and found out that there was a lot of failings in Ms. Millman's career. She also just got up, dusted herself off, cried away the hurt and started again. 

I also found it odd that she, the patron saint of designers, does not consider herself a designer. I don't want to be mean but I don't consider her a designer either. I think she's a great curator of design and its people, but designer she ain't. Or is she? She showed some of her artwork and I was impressed. Yes I was! 

She's a creative by any standard. She has an artist's soul and would have done great in art school. Or maybe they would have taken that artist soul and corrupted it. Anyway Ms. Millman by her own account has been put through the ringer; and has lived to speak eloquently about it. 

I both love Ms. Millman and have a problem with her. She clearly knows who she is and has spent her life like most of us on that discovery; yet her problem/advice sometimes seems like #FirstWorldProblems. 

She has been privileged to have met the most incredible folk and be cute while doing so. This was something I don't think she has taken into consideration. Some people, no matter how talented or diligent get ignored. Mostly because thy are not what is expected or in this society, valued. 

But I get it. Stick with it. Hang in there and out wait the losers keeping you down and while you're doing that hone your craft. Do stuff. Put it out there and let people see just how great you are. 

Then stick out your tongue (inside your head) and smile as you win. Just by being the one still standing. Ms. Millman is correct. 

Failure is only failure if you stay down. 

Ms. Debbie Millman spoke at the Type Directors Club and Monotype exhibit Pencil to Pixel NYC at the Skylight Studios penthouse space downtown in TriBeCa.

Standing room only. You should have been there…



No comments:

Post a Comment