Friday, May 10, 2013

MonotypeNerdiness Report


So I went to the Monotype exhibit I posted about a few weeks ago. It was downtown in TriBeCa in the penthouse of the Skylight Studios. 

Very cool. 

It consisted of a personal/group tour where we were shown and told about the history if the type foundry and its famous typefaces. Didot, Joanna, Helvetica…. I did not know there was a dispute about the origins of Times New Roman, and that much of the documentation that could clear up the type nerdy quarrel, was destroyed in the blitz bombing of London during the Second World War; who knew? (!) but then again, I don't really know much. 
So exciting. 




Our guide spoke of the Global offices of ITC, of Linotype, of Monotype designers and the 10" drawings. So much info about how type went from punch type to photo lettering to digital. It all seemed so long ago but it wasn't. 


We're living such a Moore's law existence, where because of how fast tech is moving we think it must have happened a long time ago. But it was only in the 1970's and 1980's that digital type took off. I was alive then(!)

Old me still remembers rub on Letraset type, (if you ask me what that is I may have to pretend to have an Alzheimer's episode) and walk away. Google it slacker! 

Anyway I've included a few images of the space and some pieces from the exhibit. It is free, but by appointment only so go quickly. Go learn something new! I did.  

No comments:

Post a Comment