Friday, April 19, 2013

Flip the Script - The Evolution of Graffiti Hand Styles

Designer and Creative Director Christian P. Acker's 10-year-long book on graffiti tagging is out.

And while my busy self missed he opening launch reception at the awesome! Reed Space in NYC, I was lucky to attend his Type Director's Club presentation on April 19th 2013 at the TDC Salon

My type nerd in crime Molly Hein and I were very happy to buy his book and to meet Christian. The book is lovely and I am eager to peruse.

The normally standing room only TDC space was surprisingly empty for a Salon night.

Acker was entertaining and very happily laid his thesis on us. The connection between black letterforms and certain tagging styles especially from Philadelphia and the Los Angeles areas from the late 1960's to the late 1980's

I loved the spirited presentation and would have watched the videos he showed all night long. A documentary is what should be done with this info.

Molly and I were not too happy with him though, when he dismissed the fact that there was not a woman graffiti writer in his entire book! (!) not one! Yes! Yes, for shame Christian! For shame…

Not good at all!
Anyway the book is out. Look for it online



No comments:

Post a Comment